Thursday, July 22, 2010

Can I have a pint of Leine's Amber? Sorry we only have 22oz and 16oz

The last few days have been fairly uneventful. My awful sleep schedule has sequestered me to my bed til noon each day, so I spent the last two nights trying to pull all-nighters to reset myself. It makes sense in my world, I assure you. Anyway, I succeeded last night, so with any hope, I'll be crashing in about half an hour. But in the meantime, I'm going to blog my silly blog, and start reading the new Elizabeth Gilbert book, which I just ordered from Amazon. 

It's a pretty sweet world we live in, where I can be out on my lake, twenty minutes from even a grocery store, yet I can order books and supplies online and have them dropped at my doorstep two days later. 

This evening, my mother and I went into Virginia, (you know, the home of the nearest Target and Walgreens? 40 minutes away?) to shop and run errands. Since it was late afternoon when we went into town, we opted to get dinner at a regional chain after our shopping. We sat down, and I began to peruse the beer and wine menu because, when we go out for dinner, I have a habit of getting a beer. It gives me the nice excuse to try local brews.

The only local beer on their list was a Summit Pale Ale, and while I appreciate the St. Paul brewery, I found their Horizon Red Ale to even be too hoppy for me, so I definitely avoided their IPA. (Aside from Summit, the only other Minnesota beer I've found in restaurants or liquor stores is the Lake Superior Mesabi Red Ale, which is phenomenal.) So this evening, I decided that even though I can find it anywhere, I would go for a Leinenkugel's Amber. Now, although Leine's is distributed throughout the country, they are still a microbrew located in Chippewa Falls, WI. And since we pass the brewery en route here, I think that's close enough to local. But enough of my inner monologue. I picked the brew, now time to order. 

I always wait til I order my meal to order a beer, because I don't want to finish it before food even comes out. So after our order, I ask the waitress if I could have a pint of Leinenkugal Amber. She looks at me, quite concerned, and explains that they don't have pints. Perplexed, I ask her what size beers they do have. She thinks for a moment, and let's me know that they have 22oz and 16oz. I smile, ask for a 16oz, and wait until she is out of earshot before I quickly raise my palm to my face and mutter to my mother...

'A pint is 16 ounces.'

At least we both got a good laugh from it. And I got my beer, so I cannot complain. But I do need to find a better selection of local beer, because I know it's around here somewhere, I just need to hunt it down...

And now, since I don't have any pictures of, you know, beer, enjoy some miscellaneous shots I haven't had the excuse to post yet!

-K


















No comments:

Post a Comment